How To Move Site Properly
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/webseo6/public_html/wp-includes/media.php on line 72
Move Site: Properly
The first steps are;
- Fully understand what the goals and objectives are
- Go through the design process and code everything out.
- Migrate traffic to new site
While those steps are much more complicated then I just wrote, the most important step during a site redesign, when pushing a new site live is to maintain the site’s SEO deals with Google during Step 4.
Site Migration Tools
Today, Google sent out a link to it’s new site migration tools. There are sections for maintaining the same URL structure while changing the underlying technology and sections for changing URL structure, too. The tools are fairly advanced, but incredibly useful. Find them here – https://support.google.com/webmasters/topic/6033102?hl=en&ref_topic=6029673
Before You Begin The Migration
- Get a full list of the URLs of the Old/Original Site. You can use an SEO tool like Screaming Frog which will allow you to export a full list of your site’s URLs.
- Crawl your new site and export a full list of the new site’s URLs.
- Lay out URLs from old and new site next to each other in an excel and see if any URLs have changed. If so, list out 301 redirects for each URL individually to the new corresponding URL. Save this file.
Check & Change MX records
Whenever doing any move, go check the existing MX records and see where they are pointed before changing your DNS or putting in a new CNAME. Copy the MX records somewhere safe. Save this information. When it comes time to finally point to the new site, make sure to change/update the MX records so you don’t bring down the companies email. Yeah, that would suck.
If you’d like our help to move your site for you correctly, fill out the form below.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]